Monday, March 29, 2010

Backing it up a bit.....

There has been so much going on in my life that I can hardly keep up. I couldn't not go back to tell you all about my trip to Austin.

When something major happens in your life you truly realize how important some people are in your life. It's not easy to deal with someone who has cancer and I can not expect anyone to behave is a certain way. All I know is that I had some amazing people around me. Ones who truly supported me (and Brent) and one who were right there with me fighting. Until you go through something like this, you really have no idea what it is like....You think you know, but you don't.

During treatment I had friends donate her hair to Locks of Love
(http://www.locksoflove.org/) it was my college team mate Bethany and my cousin Meaghan. They did the most unselfish thing anyone could do!
On my recent trip to Austin, I was there to share the moment with another friend Lara!! See video below:



When I say you can't know what it's like to lose your hair, you can't. I am a strong person and I can put up a good front....but the day that I knew it had to come off was one I will never forget. There is a huge difference between choosing to do something and having no control over it. I thought I was going to be one of the "lucky" ones. Beat the odds and never lose my hair...until I wake up with a pillow full of hair. The emotional drain and physical power it has over you, you can't put into words. I was not only fighting a battle inside myself, but now I was going to look the part as well.

Flashback....


Bethany, Meaghan and Lara (along with thousands of others)stepped outside themselves to help someone else having to deal with the new "me". I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror when my brother cut it off. We all just stood there crying.

If you want to give back and you want to help someone who has to deal with a life changing experience, look into Locks of Love(http://www.locksoflove.org/donate.html) - it will truly change someones life!

Thank you ladies, I love you!

No comments: