Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Diagnosis

The verdict is:
Nodular Sclerosis Hodgkin's Disease (NSHD)
Here is a little information about it: is the most common subtype of HD and accounts for 65% to 80% of all cases. It tends to occur in adolescents and young adults (under 50 years), and it is the only form of HD that strikes more women than men. The disease typically arises in the lymph nodes of the chest and other sites above the diaphragm, the large abdominal muscle that controls breathing. Bulky tumor growth may occur in the mediastinum (organs and tissues of the middle chest) and it may spread to the tissues of the lungs. Many NSHD patients are diagnosed with Stage 2 disease.

I have an appointment with an oncologist - Dr. Chen, on Friday (10:30 am). He will be able to answer all my questions; when treatment will start, what it will be, how long and so on...so still don't have answers. I will be getting a port put in my chest and I am waiting on pre-approval for that right now. I am hoping to get in this week for both the port and onocologist meeting so I can get this thing going.

My plan, for the time being, it to roll into work for a few hours each day, and to try to keep my life up beat. That's all for now...........

6 comments:

Bethany said...

Just let me know when you're up for a chat!

SLQ said...

I am glad that you notified me about your blog. keep in touch and call if you need anything!

Colleen said...

howie- i am sorry to hear the verdict. you have all my love and support! colleen

pg said...

Thanks for all these thorough updates and thank you, God, for this diagnosis. Know that you are loved.

Graham Howarth said...

e- do you have the sports package?? sox games are a GREAT cure for crappy tv! let's chat this week. -G

mckenzie said...

Hey E -
I'm sorry you have to go through all of this. We love you and are thinking about you everyday.
McKenzie