Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Getting my port out?!?

I had my appointment with Dr. Berman this week. He was the initial doctor who diagnosed me who did the initial biopsy and who put in my port. He was basically the first doctor I had and who was very helpful in trying to get myself and my family through the shocks of the diagnosis. I hadn't been to the office since I left there in April (the day he told me I had Lymphoma)...so walking in there brought back a lot of emotions. As happy as I am to be clear, some days I am still in shock that this happened and know I will never be the same. I look at life differently now, that's for sure...

Ok, back to the subject of my post; the port. Dr. Chen agreed to let me get my port out, but I had a feeling Dr. Berman might have something to say about it. When I first got it in, he said I would have it in for at least a year. For those of you who don't know my port was used to administer all my chemo drugs. The drugs were very toxic and the little veins in your arms take a beating if they are used. Plus the poking hurts less. Some people can get blood draws etc, but my insurance didn't allow that. So, when I told Dr. Berman I wanted it out he asked if I was sure. He said if it comes back we would have to put it back in. He said I like my patients to have them in for at least a year. My response was "I'm going to think positive and I know it's not coming back!" He just looked at me and said okay. I think he knew arguing wasn't going to work.

He is going to avoid bringing me into major surgery and just do a local numbing and take it out in his office. So, no getting put under! My appointment is scheduled for the morning of Dec. 2nd. That is the morning I fly to Nationals in GA. It was either that or January and that wasn't going to work. I want it out now! He said flying won't be a problem and I'll pack light..it's a simple procedure.

So lots of good news, so much better then the post after post of horrible days.

I am currently down in San Diego visiting with Stacey and Casey who are here for a few days. I took these two days off from work to spend time with some very important people. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, so enjoy today.
(I will post some pics of the trip soon.)

1 comment:

Karen Gibson Curtis said...

Great news Erin!! Have fun with Stacey and Casey!!!