Thursday, December 4, 2008

Port Removal

Sorry it took a few days to get up a post. After the port came out, packed and got right on a plane to Atlanta...
Brent was able to get the morning off, so he could come with me. We arrived at the office a little before 8am. We opted to have it removed in the Dr office vs going into the OR (plus the co-pay was $10 instead of $200). We were brought back about 820. The area around the port got numbed up, that part wasn't fun. It's a stinging and burning feeling. He waited a min or two and cut away. The goal is to cut over the same scar, which wasn't more then a few inches long. As he cut, I could feel it. Not fun either! He told me I shouldn't feel anything, but I did, so not sure why...he continued on regardless. He had some trouble getting it out. A few of my friends talked about it getting stuck, so was kinda a strange feeling when that actually happened. He had to wiggle it a bit before it came loose, definitely had me sweating at this point (literally). When he pulled it out, wasn't what I expected; was white and plastic. Was like a lolly pop with a long stick. I was stitched up and on my way by 845.
I am a little sore, but it was 10 times worse getting put in. I can move my arm again now, so that's not too bad.

I am still in Atlanta, first prelims were this morning. There is some good races so far...I am hanging in there, getting tired, but I am also taking advantage of the down time!

1 comment:

e said...

I'm glad to hear the procedure went well and you made it to Atl safely. Will you get to visit Munch or Sam at all? Have a good time out there.. hope you're feeling better :)