Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Challenge

A co-worker, Patricia, suggested joining her for a Team in Training meeting last night. I am sure a lot of you have heard of them? I had always wanted to get involved, but when I was asked this time it was deeper then that. I knew I had to go. I called Brent and without hesitation, he agreed to go as well. We sat in the meeting and just looked in awe at all the activities we could take part in - triathlons, marathons, bike rides, hikes. Most of the events are within the next few months, so we took into account what I might be able to do.

A few weeks ago, I talked about my life to do list and hiking the Grand Canyon was on my list. When Brent and I saw that on the list, we knew that's what we wanted to do!!

I don't look at the fundraising as something that anyone should feel obligated to do...I just know that when my friends or family got sick, I never knew what I could do to help. Organizations like TNT work directly with families and patients. They are a great resource AND they are helping to find a cure.

I know I was one of the "lucky" ones to have on gone through 7 months of treatment, but others are not so lucky. Brent and I are hiking either a 1 day or 4 day hike the end of May. This will be a celebration of us, of life and thanks of all those who have supported me every step of the way.

If you want to help us and TNT, feel free to check out my fundraising page:
http://pages.hikefordiscovery.org/ocie/CanyonS209/ehowarth

Thanks and Cancer SUCKS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Howie. It is so great to see/read/know that you are doing well. You are going to have an amazing time with TNT. I ran the Disney marathon with them last year. I had chills during the intitial meeting and throughout the race... so moving! I plan on doing it at least every 5 years. Maybe the Rock N Roll marathon??? You up for it in 2012???