Sunday, October 26, 2008

Getting some shots -

Tomorrow morning I am getting a few shots: flu and pneumococcal. From what I have been told, the pneumococcal shot is very important to people with weaker immune systems. Having chemotherapy puts me in that category. I am bruising very easily, so I am just hoping that I don't end up with nice black & blue on my arm for the next few weeks.....but I guess it could be MUCH worse, right?!?

My energy levels have been hot and cold. What usually ends up happening is that I have a lot, do too much and then crash. It's important for me to really pay attention to my body. I definitely put on a front (as Brent says)...when I am around people, I will hide how I am really feeling, I will get quiet, but do my best to try to keep up with whatever is going on around me. When I get home, that's when I crash, when it's just he and I.

One of my first major tests will come this weekend. Brent and I are going to see Jason Mraz - can't wait! I love that guy!! It will be interesting on how my body handles something like that. My second test will come on Sunday, because I will be flying to Chicago for a staff meeting. I am flying direct, which is going to help a lot. Considering I will just be there with just co-workers, we figured this would be a nice test. There are a lot of trips on the horizon, so I wanted to make sure I started small.

I have my next PET scan is scheduled for Monday, November 10th. When I have those clear tests in hand, Brent and I are planning on celebrating with my first glass of wine. I didn't want to drink before then for a few reasons. 1) The effects of radiation are still in progress. I stopped early, so I didn't want to take any risks with how the treatment may work. 2) If my throat is at all still irritated, the alcohol would not feel well - I wasn't interested in testing that out. Would you? I will see Dr. Chen after the PET scan and one of the biggest things I want to talk to him about it my PORT. I really want it out of my chest. From all the statistics surrounding Hodgkin's Lymphoma patients, there is a 95% cure rate with it never returning. With two clean scans, how much longer will I have to wait to get it removed. Not going to lie, it's an eye sore - really freaks people out and as a results I end up having to dress to hide it all the time. That's not easy....maybe if sweaters were worn here, but at 70-80 degrees, not happening. So this subject will come up again in a few more weeks.

It's been fantastic to feel alive again. Brent and I have been able to go out to dinners and run errands. Yes, the recovery process will take some time, but the little clips I can have each day remind me what I have to look forward to as I work towards a full recovery.

No comments: