Thursday, October 30, 2008

Update

A wise person told me to make sure I take it easy and don't push myself too hard (CW). I am listening, I promise! Today when I woke up, I was feeling very drained, so I decided to work from home. I am taking it one day at a time, always.

I am scared about flying this week. I am concerned how my body will react and I am concerned more about the other people on the plane then myself. It's the coughing, sneezing, recirculated air etc. I had a long talk with my Grammie today and she is concerned too. She suggested I get a mask or have a handkerchief to cover my nose and mouth. I will explore some options before I leave on Sunday. I will definitely have disinfecting wipes and hand sterilizer etc. I am mentally ready to travel and won't really know how my body will react until I try, so I am going to try, but it does come with some risks. I know things will be great when I get there, it's just the process of getting there.

I am thankful that I can offer support to anyone who is entering treatments or has found out a family member has cancer. It's never hard to not have your questions answered and I had a very strong network of people willing to listen to my fears and sit with me while I cried. If I can do the same for anyone else, then that is the least I can do. I am not perfect and I still have fears, but I am thankful to everyone who stood by my side, because it is very easy to be forgotten.

I decided to start a life to-do list and would love some input. These are things that I thought a lot about over the last few months. You only live once and I am tired of waiting until I have time, because who knows what tomorrow will bring.....

1) Bike cross-country and raise money for cancer along the way. This is something my father, brother and I always talked about doing. It's time to stop talking and set a date!
2) Go on a true vacation. Never been. I have gone to some amazing places with my jobs and swimming career, but would love to go to a beach some where for a week...not visiting friends...nothing but Brent and I and we'd turn off all electronic devices!
3) Hike the grand canyon - who wouldn't want to do that?
4) Take a cruise to Alaska. It's beautiful up there!
5) Backpack through parts of the world. Haven't narrowed down where I want to go, Brent and I have some places in our minds, so might have to be a few trips.

So this is the beginning of my list, any other added suggestions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

True concerns for your flight, remember Ft Lauderdale for swimming. I took Dick and they left us on the flight and not let us get off. No "good" air and he ended up in the hospital. Any concerns get yourself up by the door and DEMAND to get off. You were young but from past experience SPEAK YOUR VOICE AND GET OFF!

Anonymous said...

Come to AUSTRALIA Howie!!!!!
We want to see you here
xxxx
All the best for your flight, thinking of you xx

Anonymous said...

As for #2, might I reccommend Excellence Resorts Playa Mujeres All-Inclusive... seriously... no electronic devices, totally service-oriented beach resort. My wife, Tara, and I spent our honeymoon there and could not have been happier doing NOTHING... http://www.excellence-resorts.com/all-inclusive-resorts/playa-mujeres-mexico/playa-overview.htm -- Much love and support! Your Friend & brother's buddy from HS, Sammy B

M. O'Rourke said...

see the 7 wonders!

e said...

climb mt. washington (if you've never done it)

Also go to Santorini, Greece (one of the small islands) it's known for the white washed buildings and also known for the most beautiful sunsets in the world. (have you seen the traveling pants movie? That's where she goes). It's so beautiful