Monday, October 13, 2008

Sorry about the delay!

Okay, when I had the opportunity to get my life back a little, I took it! Sorry about not keep you up to date. Let me back it up a little....
I went and saw my oncologist, Dr. Chen, last Wednesday to discuss what he thought I should do (continue treatment, stop, wait etc). He felt I have done enough treatment. He, Brent and I had some talks and got some questions answered, but basically I will have another PET scan early November. Other then that, go back to the real world.

On Thursday, I went and saw Dr. Zelner, my throat Doctor. He wanted to do a follow-up after leaving the hospital to make sure I was getting better and not losing weight etc. Everything checked out in terms of where I am at now, but I wanted to know about long term damage. He felt I would make a full recovery, but was concerned if I was going to continue radiation. I indicated that it was up to me and that what he had to say would help make my decision. He felt that if I continued with the 2nd half of radiation that I would be back to where I was and would most likely be worse off. The biggest problem was that I would create more scar tissue and it would most likely not heal the 2nd time. So he pretty much said, if you do more radiation he feels I would be on liquid foods the rest of my life. So with that being said - I am done!

I am going to see my radiation Dr this week to make sure he knows what I have decided. No one can change my mind at this point. Radiation was painful and my body did not like it.

As with everything else, I am finally eating real food again - even foods I have to chew. I am doing what I can to get myself back to "normal". I am doing some walks and trying to put on some weight. I am definitely taking it one day at a time, but every day is getting better and better. We have been having a lot of meetings in the office, so I am doing everything I can to get myself there and to stay as long as I can. Getting back into full work mode will definitely take some time - just happy that I am getting back. No more dreadful days!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sooo very happy for you! Enjoy yourself!

Anonymous said...

Extremely happy to hear this latest report. Much love.