Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I'm finally home!

When I woke up yesterday, I knew I was done being in the hospital. I was feeling stronger and was able to get some food in. I was no longer on pain medications, so why did I need to lay there and take up a bed? I was able to sit and talk with multiple Doctors before getting the final approval for discharge. I can't even describe the feeling of getting unplugged from the machine, where I was no longer tangled up in IV lines....it was fantastic!

When I got home, Brent made me some pasta (I am continuing on the non-chocking foods) before completely passing out for at least an hour. I woke up in the 8th inning of the Sox game, so was able to watch Boston win again! Yeah Lester!

I never would have thought that the side effects I would encounter from radiation could get this bad. I would have never thought I made it through all of chemo to sit in a hospital for a week. I am not sure if I did a good enough job researching the side effects of radiation?!? I know all the doctors said they have never seen anything so bad (after so few treatments), but 25% of my esophagus getting completely fried wasn't even on my radar. I have numerous appointments over the next week, but in my mind continuing radiation isn't an option.

Overall, my throat still hurts, wouldn't say I am in pain....just uncomfortable. I eat really slow and have to chase everything I eat with water. I am trying to catch up with work, last week was the first time I haven't been able to work during all treatment. Not fun not being able to work and hard catching up.

I will keep you posted as I visit with all my doctors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you're home! Much love.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are home, and hopefully feeling better each day!