Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hospital Update

Okay, Brent brought in his computer today - so I will do my best to give a short, but thorough update on my status. Since Wednesday, a lot has happened. It was over a week since I had eaten, was getting more and more weak and didn't feel like I was healing much. The decision was made to give me a PPN which is a combination of amino acids, sodium, potassium etc. They base what goes into this bag of "food" on a blood test of what my body is deficient in. I got the PPN on Thursday and that started a slight turn.

With the nutrients, I felt my body was able to help heal itself and I was able to sleep a lot better. I was also beginning to take less and less pain medication. By no means was the burning gone, just more bearable. The PPN was being given in my forearm which began to ache and get puffy. My veins couldn't take all the sugars from the PPN so we had to come up with a plan B. The inserted a PIC line in my arm. It's in my left arm (between my bicep and tricep) and it's a catheter that runs from there to the main artery center chest. Don't worry, they had trouble getting it in - as with every other procedure I have. It kept running into my PORT (which I already have in my chest). They finally got it in the right position on the third try.

I am sure some of you are asking, why do you have a PIC when you have a PORT?? Remember all my chemo treatments and my temperamental PORT- machine beeping? Well, the "food" has to stay on a pump and my PORT has a pinching problem that won't allow it to be on a pump. Having the PIC also allows me to have a TPN which has even more nutrients then the PPN.

I had the PIC line put in about 6pm last night and my arm is killing me. I think it's because it took them a few tries to get it in....but each hour it is getting a little better.

My roommate left yesterday, so I had the room to myself, it was GREAT! Not only did I get to sit here and watch the SOX game in peace and quiet, but I also slept really well. Instead of waking up every two hours, I slept from 11-6am and then off and on until 8. Felt great. When I woke up, breakfast was already here. I decided to go for it - how much can I get down?!? It took me close to an hour, but I managed to get a bowl of Cream of Wheat down, along with a small bottle of water! I must say, a strong motivation on forcing to eat this morning was that I got weighed, down about 15 pounds - not good at all.

Brent, Mom and I sat and had a long talk. I feel I am getting better. I don't need the pain meds and I am eating, not a lot, but eating. If I can get some dinner down, breakfast and lunch tomorrow....I want to be able to go home Sunday night. We are going to see how each meal goes before making any "official" decisions.

Yes, baby steps, but progress....

No comments: