Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Cancer Free??

Let me start at the beginning. As you know, I have been having trouble with my lungs. I started somewhat stalking Dr. Chen. I wanted to make sure we talked about what we were going to do in terms of my protocol on Friday - were we going to remove the drug causing the problem? So he called me today. We were able to talk a little about how I was feeling etc and we decided we would remove the drug (Bleomycin). Then he proceeded to tell me that he had my results from my PFT yesterday. He said that my test showed NO activity and that he saw no tumors. I was shocked. I asked him "are you sure, both my neck and chest are clear?" He said yes. I hung up the phone and just started making calls....Mom, Dad, Matt, Jon etc. They were like, are you sure the tumors are gone? Don't get your hopes up. I started to wonder if I heard what I wanted to hear and not what was said (Chemo brain). I was actually on the phone with Monica when another private call came in, which is usually my doctor. It was Dr. Chen again. He started thinking that maybe it wasn't my lungs, but maybe my heart. I am out of breath just laying here, not just walking around. Adriamycin is the drug that affects my heart, so he wants to make sure he removes the correct drug and can't do that until he knows for sure what is going on. So he ordered a stat cardio echo and wants that done before my next chemo treatment. So, hopefully I will have the echo tomorrow or I will move my chemo to next week. I then asked him to repeat what he said in the first call, asking '"so I really don't have any more tumors?" He said "I see no more cancer cells in your body on this PET". I just started laughing, out of shock, didn't know what else to do. He said he is also surprised with how well my body responded to treatment.


I am not 100% sure what the means in terms of treatment longevity, but regardless each treatment I have is a preventative to make sure it NEVER comes back. I no longer have to sit here wondering if I will be done by Thanksgiving/Christmas. I know it is gone! I will continue on with my next chemo. I am meeting with Dr. Chen on Wednesday of next week. I will ask him all my questions and hopefully come up with a plan of attack from here on out. I just can't decide if I want to sit here and laugh or cry? I am just so happy that this may be over soon and I am ready to move on with my life! I will keep you posted as I know more, just wanted to share the news :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had no doubt you'd kick cancer's @$$!!! Congrats! We love you!!!

Karen Gibson Curtis said...

yay!!! i am grinning ear to ear for you!! brandon just shot out his arm in a big hooray, it was more than a stretch, i swear!!

love ya,
karen

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you! Keep up the positive thinking!

Sarah & Kyle

Erica said...

Yay! I was so excited to wake up and read your post today. Keep it up! You're beating this!!

Anonymous said...

This is exciting news!!!

Anonymous said...

Erin, that is fantastic! Congratulations!

Cate said...

i'm so happy for you, horn! keep hanging in there.