Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Treatment update.....

So we went to meet with Dr. Chen today and what I was hoping for what actually happened. Since I had my first treatment in cycle 4 yesterday, I assumed best case scenario would be one more chemo session....and that is what I was told. Tuesday, August 26th will mark my 8th and final chemo session. Mom was about to jump out of her chair. What Brent, Mom and I couldn't stop laughing about in the parking lot is we were back to the original information we thought we were given; 3-4 cycles, 6 - 8 treatments. Remember a few weeks back when I thought I misheard him and that I would really be going 6 - 8 cycles, 12-16 treatments....boy oh boy, it's so hard to keep everything straight sometimes! I also know that they weren't sure how well my body would react, so everything was up in the air.

So I will have my last chemo in less then two weeks. We will wait a few weeks to get my counts up and to make sure they level off there before beginning radiation. My radiation will be very localized to the left side of my neck and center chest. I will be meeting with my radiation doctor as soon as I can set up an appointment - need it approved by my insurance company first. All I know right now is that he/she will determine the longevity of the treatment and it will be either 4 or 5 weeks of daily radiation (M-F). I have roughly 3 more blood tests, so the poking is going to slow down by a lot - my veins are VERY happy with that news!

I will have a follow up PET scan at the completion of radiation and will have those every 3 months for the first year and then be spread them out a little more as time goes on. If it were to come back, which it will not, would be within the first year.

I am still scheduled to see a lung doctor in about a month, it's the earliest I was able to get an appointment. It will be good to talk to someone specifically about what is going on with my lungs. I am planning on trying to call the office in a few days to see if I can get in any sooner then a month.

Other then that, I can see the end. It will all be more final after I meet with the radiation doctor, but it looks like I will be able to get back to the east coast for sure for Christmas, YEAH!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin - I am so happy the end is in sight for you! I think about you daily...
Rachel

Communications said...

Hooray! So happy for you Erin! That is such great news to hear from your doc, what a treat!!! I think you will find that radiation is a breeze compared to the chemo sessions -- yes, it is every day, but you are usually only there for about 20 minutes or so, so it feels so much easier! (Of course, the in and out only occurs after they have completed all the pre-radiation alignment appointments.) The only bad thing about the radiation was I got a sore throat (but they can give you this numbing stuff) and by the end, the tiredness creeps up on you. But still, much easier than sitting for long chemo sessions and dealing with the nausea and blah days after.

And the 3 month PET scans that follow - so worth it! I always told my docs, scan me as much as you want because it gives me piece of mind.

Again, congrats!!!

e said...

Erin - That's WONDERFUL news!!! I'm so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic, Erin! :-)