Monday, September 15, 2008

Day 1 of Radiation

So today was the first radiation treatment. Dad ended up working in Long Beach today, so he was able to take me to my appointment. We got to the office about 12:45pm and we were back in the car leaving at 1:04pm. It was all very quick - the longest part was sitting and waiting. I had dad come with me into the room, so he could see the crazy contraption and he was able to watch on a screen (outside the room) the entire procedure.

As I was initially walking into the radiation room, there were two armed guards standing next to a door - come to find out a criminal was getting prepped for radiation as well. Ha, I guess they need treatment too, right?

So, to actually describe what happened today is kinda hard, because I didn't feel anything. I was actually about to ask when it was going to start and they were taking everything off. I did have a tight throat when I left, not sure if that was more of a mental side effect or a true side effect?? It definitely feels a little like a sun burn, but other then that, nothing.

After my radiation appointment, I had my lung Dr appointment. It started off with him saying basically that your lung function is off the chart. I was like, here we go....
After talking for a while, he understood what I was saying. There are a few things that may be going on, but he wants to do some further testing to figure it out. First, my side effects may be caused from a blood clot - but all my heart test aren't showing that. He is ordering some stress tests and more tests. Just trying to narrow down a few things. The stress test will determine if it is my heart, lungs or just being out of shape that is causing the shortness of breath. He wants me in ASAP, so do I, because I don't want the side effects (if any) from radiation to kick in. I am trying to schedule those appointments, but apparently the scheduler leaves at 3 pm, so I missed her?!? Go figure....

No comments: