Sunday, September 28, 2008

Finally gave in - went to the ER

I called the on-call doctor at my Radiologist this morning, he was the same DR that was on call yesterday. I updated him on my status and we both agreed I should do everything I can to stay hydrated and come see him Monday morning. He agreed that the pain meds I am currently taking are not strong enough, but he won't prescribe morphine over the phone....so really I was still in the same position as the day before. Dad came to visit for a little bit and I knew he was just helpless, I was too. There wasn't anything I could do to get some nutrients in me. After many long hours of whimpering, not eating, pain and not drinking....I decided it was time to get some real help. I just couldn't take it anymore!

Brent and I went over to the ER at about 4:30pm. I absolutely HATE going there, especially with all the sick people sitting in there, and me being uncomfortable to begin with - it wasn't a journey I was looking forward to. When we walked in the door, there wasn't another person in sight. We were brought right into the back and I was sitting in a bed before 5 pm. Good deal, huh! They immediately started me on fluids, liquid carafate (numbing agent for esophagus and stomach) and dilaudid (pain killer). I also told them that I was concerned about my counts and since I didn't have my results back from yesterday - they did a work up right there. Turns out my counts are perfect! That's a VERY good thing, but it also means that everything that is going on is a true side effect of the esophagus inflammation. The Doctor also wanted a chest x-ray, which I was also happy to hear - that came back clear. It was the first time, since Wednesday night, where I was truly comfortable. Gotta love pain killers.

When I left, they gave me carafate to take home (which is used for people with stomach ulcers) and we are hoping that will help coat the bottom of my esophagus. All the other coating drugs I have seem to stop short. They also gave me a liquid Tylenol with Codeine - I took that and it would stay down, fantastic, I know! I am taking a break, trying to get food in and see what happens on the second try.

Tomorrow morning, Mom is coming up for my meeting with the Radiation Doctor. I want to sit and figure out what to do next. I really needed someone else to be with me for the decision even though, ultimately it's my decision. Part of me wants to stop right now, I can't go through this again. Another part of me really wants to be sure this never comes back and if one more week guarantees that, why not. So I am interested to learn what the Doctor has to say about it all before I make up my mind.

For right now, the fever seems to be gone....it keeps creeping back, but nothing as high as Friday night. I am so much more comfortable knowing I have fluids in me, so that if I do get another fever, I won't be in the super danger zone.

More to come tomorrow.....

1 comment:

e said...

i can't imagine. You're in my thoughts and prayers ((hug))