Saturday, September 27, 2008

What a night....

So yesterday, at about 5pm, Brent and I decided to take a nap. I wasn't feeling so hot and Brent was worn down from a week of teaching. Halfway through my nap, I was shivering, was too tired to think much of it....but, about an hour and a half later, when it was time to force ourselves awake, my face was on fire and feet were ice. Not a good sign. Turns out I had a fever of 101.5!! So we called Dr. Mom and just tried to find quick fixes that avoid me going to the ER. I was forcing Tylenol down and managed to get the fever down to 100 before going to bed. I definitely sweat most all the fever out of me, because I woke up with a very slight fever.

I am very concerned that my white counts are too low and that is why I am getting a fever. I haven't had blood work in two weeks. The swallowing has only gotten worse, not better. After I swallow, I feel the initial pain in my chest. Then, there is an after affect that shoots pain in my back (it's right on the opposite side of where it hurts on my chest). It's hard to describe how it feels, but basically it has me in tears just about every time I swallow.

So I was able to talk to my on-call Radiology Doctor and he suggested a few things, but I opted to go into Urgent Care with my Primary care. They gave me an order for blood work, which I did right away and a prescription. He didn't feel I needed a chest x-ray, because my lungs sound clear. The prescription is for a possible infection going on in my chest that might be causing the fever. So they really aren't 100% sure what's going on, but the Doctor and I did agree that a fever on a cancer patient is very different then a normal person getting a fever. So we will be waiting on the edge of our seats a little for those results.

So for the time being, the goal is to not get dehydrated. I have already lost 4 pounds in two days...so I have to find ways to get food in me. Brent crushed up a vicodin and put it in apple sauce and now I am going to force some of an instant breakfast. I really thought radiation was going to be the "easy" part, so far, it's quite the opposite!

No comments: