Thursday, September 4, 2008

Pre-Radiation Tests

I went it for my 2nd of 3 appointments before Radiation can "officially" begin. I was definitely filled with some anxiety, because I really had NO idea what was going to happen today. I thought I was just going in for a CT scan, but I also got fitted for a mask and got my tattoo.....

When I got there, got to get in the most flattering blue gown, the one that has your bottom flapping in the wind. Thank goodness I didn't have to undress waist down :) So I went back to a room with the machine for the CT scan. Then the mask was explained to me. The mask is like straight out of the Silence of the Lambs. I didn't know if I should start saying "Clarisse" or "Luke, I am your father"....Anyways, It went from mid skull to my chin. It's to protect my face from any of the radiation, because they are going high up on my neck. It got soaked in some warm water and then it was molded to my face. I guess I get to keep it when I am done, so I will get a picture up at that point.

So the mask was molded to my face, next step was to get my positioning on the table. I laid down with my head in a mold, my knees over a pillow kinda thing and my feet flat up against a board. Felt like the sit and reach a little from gym class. I had wrist straps on that were connected to the board at my feet. The idea is to keep my body as still as possible, especially my shoulders - don't want them in the cross fire! So just picture me, laying there with the crazy mask, arms tied down - seemed a bit nuts and I was trying not to bust out laughing.

Once in place, I had my CT scan. That only took about 4 minutes. They will use that along with my original PET scan I hand carried it to come up with the pattern and places they will radiate. Next was the tattoo. To be honest, I wasn't happy about this. I had always promised myself I wouldn't get one, unless it really meant something to me. My Grandpa Charles had a fishing hook on his arm.He always told us never to get one, because your skins grows as you get old...he would squeeze his arm together so we could make it out. So I had all these ideas in my head of what it would be like - how many dots/X's would they have to put on me, how noticeable would they be, etc. It was a quick process - he took some ink and a needle and just pushed it right into my skin. He decided I only needed 1, because I would be wearing the face mask and my skin was so light (guess it helps to be pale in radiation). He figured they would have no trouble seeing it.
Look carefully, you might not see it :) It's center chest, that little dot. I don't think my Grandpa would be angry about this one....



After the appointment, I went for my first haircut since treatment. I can't even try to describe how uncomfortable it is to walk into a hair salon with no hair on your head. It could have been more me then them. Either way, I got my hair all trimmed up and looking less sloppy!

3 comments:

Cate said...

at least its not a tramp stamp - i totally have one of those!

hope radiation goes well. still thinking about you.

e said...

my guess is that your grandpa would probably do your "ink" himself if he knew what it was all about ;) I've been thinking about you...

Bethany and Brett said...

Brett says he'll be happy to take you in to have it adjusted when all is said and done...a heart, or star or mabye baby mazurek's name since it's close to the heart hehehe (I made myself laugh even if you didn't) Missing you and wishing you weren't so far away!
Love you girlie