Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Scan update

So the news wasn't dramatically different from what I heard yesterday. The tumors are getting smaller in my neck, but they can't tell much with my chest. The tumors in my chest were the larger ones. I am going to get the CD from my first test today, hopefully, and get it over to the hospital. After they compare the first test to the second, Dr. Chen will get me those results -usually takes about a week. Regardless of those results, I am still proceeding with treatments. I will be going through with cycles 3 and 4 (each cycle is 2 treatments)...so having chemo a minimum of 4 more times, most likely going 6 cycles.

I think I misheard Dr. Chen at my initial diagnosis when he said I was going 6 - 8 cycles. I heard that as 6 - 8 treatments. 6-8 cycles means 12-16 treatments. OUCH! I won't sit here and lie, was a tough blow. I know that even being told I had to do treatment again this Friday was going to be hard to hear. I have completed 2 cycles, 4 treatments, only 1/3rd of my target (hopefully). It's just the beginning really....

I am in the process of scheduling another PET scan. That is one of the original tests I took that shows the tumor activity. It takes an hour or so, get to drink a cup of contrast - YUM! I will have that test the first full week of August. So I get the CT scan after every 2 cycles and the PET after every 4 cycles.

Yes, I am sad about it, a little discouraged. But at the same time, now I know. I need to be mentally prepared for 8 more treatments. I can't control how long it is going to take to get well, I can only control the here and now. I guess in my warped, bubble reality, I was going to be able to jet away to Jamaica next month. I just wanted to take some time for myself and enjoy life post-treatment. Now I am looking forward to Thanksgiving hoping that will be a celebration of being Cancer free for the first time...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jamaica will be there waiting for you when you are ready, girl.....

Bethany said...

I will gladly take the days and jet away with you whenever the time warrants...

Anonymous said...

No worries Jamaica Aint going no were.. the house is yours whenever you need it.