Friday, June 13, 2008

Chemo # 3

Jon and Monica arrived last night with a basket of goodies and books. It was great! Jon, Monica and Brent took me to treatment this morning. They were able to walk into the treatment area - so I could show them where I sit, the set up and so on. It makes a lot more sense to people when they can see the entire picture. Since they couldn't sit with me during treatment, I suggested Brent take them down to the beach and go boogie boarding. Jon loved it! Monica was curled up in towel on the beach :)

Treatment today was fun, got to meet some great people. We shared stories, how we discovered we had cancer, trips we have taken and where we want to go. What was similar in all of our situations is how we now look at our lives - our dreams, goals and values have all changed. As well as the chemo brain we all have. We can't spell anymore, we forget things (especially mid sentence), and how we walk around in constant fogs. The good thing is that it won't last forever, hopefully, and that my mind will be getting sharper as treatment concludes. My counts went from 14 to 3 in one week, so I am going to stay with 4 shots again this time. Thanks to Brent for being good at shot giving!

So far today, I have just been tired, but not able to sleep. I have been able to eat a little; yogurt, crackers, bread...nothing huge. I have the bad metallic taste in my mouth this time (it tastes like I am sucking on a quarter or something). I keep eating jolly ranchers, but it's not helping.

I will keep you posted as the weekend progresses....

3 comments:

Bethany said...

So one of the things that my friend Heather said sometimes works is to stop using metallic utensils and only use plastic. Apprently some of the patients she's worked with say that it helps to get rid of that metallic taste...Keep an eye out...there's a box on the way. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am getting closer to being there.Packing every spare minute.
7weeks to go,
Penny will be on her way this week.

STay strong,and I'll be there very soon.
I love you more than life itself!!!!!!!!!

Graham Howarth said...

If Baxter needs to pack his bag and be a stand-in for penny for a few weeks, he's ready for duty! Although I'm quite sure he'd need some swimming lessons while he's down there. Much like his dad, he's got the doggy paddle down, but still can't figure out the "blowing bubbles" thing. xo, g