Thursday, May 15, 2008

It's Thursday & Itchy Palms!

Yesterday afternoon, mom and I went in to the Oncologist to get a small tutorial on how to self administer my Neupogen shots. These are the shots to help boost my white blood counts. Let's just say, I couldn't do it. Could you? Seriously, could you stick yourself in the stomach with a needle without flinching? I know I can't, so mom gave it to me yesterday and we will teach Brent today...because I will be taking the shots the two days after each chemo session and possible the week after too. So I know myself well enough to know I don't want to have to give myself shots, so if someone is around, I would like them to help.

The side effects to this drug is that my bones will ache, as well as my head. So I ended up crawling into bed about 8:30 last night, as soon as my head started to hurt. I really didn't want to deal with another possible migraine. What I couldn't stop was the jumpiness of the steroids. (It's hard to describe, but I will try) When I close my eyes, everything is flashing and almost in fast forward. As tired as my body is, I can't slow the mind. I took a relaxer and was finally able to sleep a little.

The other fun side effect, after reading all over the Internet (I wanted to make sure I am 'normal') is ridiculously itchy palms and wrists. That is a side effect from the chemo. So the palms kept waking me up....not much I can do to get the itch to stop, I just need to make sure I keep putting on moisturizer so I don't peel....fun, right?

I woke up this morning, itchy palms and all and then fell back to sleep for a little while - finally feel like I did get some good sleep. The positive is no signs of nausea so far (KNOCK ON WOOD)! I have been taking the anti-nausea pills, because I wouldn't say my stomach is strong, but able to eat a little bit. One hour at a time....

5 comments:

Karen Gibson Curtis said...

hi erin.
i've been thinking about you and crossing my fingers each time i log onto your blog that you are feeling okay through all of the new shots and treatments.

ok, i know this is very different from the ichiness of chemo, but i self imposed a mango allergy and broke out with ichy hives and puffy eyes. i slept with an ice pack on my cheeks and two freezy pops over my eyes and they seemed to work a little..nothing like inventive treatment!

stay strong-love you,
karen

mckenzie said...

Hi E-
My mom was on chemo when I was in college so I asked her for some advice for you of what helped her out. Here's what she said:
I wore those wristbands from the health food store, the ones with the button that presses against the inside of the wrist.

Nausea:
Saltines. Toast. Anything I possible could have craved under the circumstances. Not too heavy or fried/greasy which will upset her stomach. Sips of ginger ale or seven up. Ice cream sodas. Orzo. When I started dropping weight, my Bible study sisters would bring over vanilla McDonald's milk shakes. Chicken breast cooked to her liking, not spicy, small pieces, maybe put on a crispy pita.

Lifesaver: Every Sunday night, after my weekly injection, a masseuse came to the condo and massaged me to sleep; she even massaged my head b/c of chemo headache. New age music always played in the background. Masseuse would let her self out so I would not be awakened from my sleep. I also took Tylenol, in the lowest effective dose. Masseuse used scent-free lotion/oil b/c I could not tolerate aromas.

Lifesaver: Ginger tea: Alvita Caffeine Free Ginger Root Tea Bags. No sugar/no honey (if she can tolerate it straight). Sip it as often as needed. FACT: Cancer LOVES sugar, cancer cells thrive on sugar. Stay away from sugar.

Lifesaver: For my treatment. 12-14 glasses of water daily. When I didn't do the water, the headaches were insane.

Life saver: Foot massages and cool compresses on forehead. Also put cool compress on cerebellum (the two large bulbs on either side of skull base implicated in movement and balance) and brain stem (back of neck) which is the vomit control center. If she throws up and someone is with her, they should stand behind/aside her with their hand across top of her forehead (as if taking her temperature) to stabilize her frontal lobe (also implicated in movement and works w/cerebellum). Bucket by bed. If she's alone, kneel down to toilet/bucket and hold her own forehead. Don't stand up.

Dim lighting. Lights hurt.

Soft sounds. No loud talking. The energy generated for screaming/loud talking will give intense headache and upset system.

Cool compresses for headaches.

Find a good Naturopath for advice. She's loading her body with toxins.

Silence phone. Talking hurts head.

She shouldn't try to be superwoman; that's what brought me to my knees the first time around, trying to do what I normally do. Be weak. Accept physical care from others.

People around her MUST BE KIND & GENTLE AT ALL TIMES. If not, it will set her back. Those in contact with her must be a gentle landing.

Funny videos only.

Gentle readings and she also found comfort in prayer - not sure if you're religious.. .

Hang in there! Hope this helps.

Graham Howarth said...

one hour at a time... we'll help you pass a few of them next weekend. In the meantime, we're thinking of you. GH

Corina said...

I've been checking your blog every day. Hope that things are going ok right now, and that you can continue to stay positive and hang in there. Thinking about you :-)

-Corina

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin:

Suzanne told me about your illness (yuck!) and forwarded your blog addy to me. I'm so sorry that you're going through this, and I hope that your recovery is as quick and solid as our pal Jon Lester's (Go Red Sox!)

And yes, my dear, I stick a needle in my stomach everyday without flinching. Unfortunately, you get used to it.

Sending the vibes out to you and the universe to help you out.

Lisa