Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Rough Start....

This is more of a continuation of yesterday's events...
It all started at about 2 pm yesterday. Not only did I realize this might be a little harder then I previously anticipated, but I didn't have control over my body any more. It's hard to think, an athlete for more then 20 years, I learned how my body works, how it feels, what I need to eat to perform at my best, my ideal weight....the only thing I had control over yesterday was my mind....my body was doing things I had never experienced.

I had the slight signs of a migraine approaching. We tried taking a few Tylenol - those didn't touch it. I kept texting a friend of mine, Brian King (NH coach) to pick his brain. He kept saying the chemo is dehydrating me, so drink more. The problem was, the more I drank, the more nauseous I felt - pick your poison, right? At about 3:30 pm, I tried sleeping it off - ended up laying here for about 2 hours, it the dark, in silence and it kept getting stronger. This went on for hours. I tried a little food (two bites of yogurt) a few meds, ice...nothing. It was about 8 pm, full force migraine was definitely here...on a scale of 1 -10, it was a 10. I couldn't move my eyes, no light. It was absolutely horrible. I had tried taking Excedrin Migraine (not the best option, but was willing to do anything)...I also tired a vicodin, nothing touched this thing. Brent and Mom kept trying ice packs on my head....I was a sight to see. We toyed with the idea of going to the ER, but really, what could they do. This is something I had to wait out. The meds causing the migraine were in my system and I just had to get them out, in time. Mom and Brent cornered me at about 8:30 pm and force fed me. I was laying on the futon and mom had a yogurt, Brent crackers - managed to get down a bite of yogurt and a cracker. They weren't happy that I didn't want to eat....all the meds in my stomach wasn't good and all I really had was toast at 11 am. Food just made me feel sick.

Everything blew up, literally, at about 10 pm. I lost everything in my stomach (sorry if this is making you sick MZ!) The crazy part was that I felt so much better. My stomach wasn't jumping anymore, it had calmed down. My migraine started to crack. I waited about 30 minutes and was able to get down a few more crackers, 4 saltines, yum!

During this escapade, mom did some research, the anti-nausea medication I took, pre-chemo, is a medication that can cause migraines. If someone, me, is susceptible to migranes, you will most likely get one...so guess what - I am changing my drugs!

I layed awake more of the night, they told me that was going to happen, because of the steroids. I listening to my ipod for a while and just tried to relax. I think I fell asleep about 2 am.

Today I am going in for a shot to help boost my white blood cell count - this is help my immune system strong in between rounds of chemo. (Yes, it has been approved, thanks Julie for the advice)! This shot can cost about $6,500 if it's not pre-approved, ouch! The side effect to this shot is joint pain. My bone marrow will be over producing, so all my large bones will ache.

As a complete aside. Most of you that know me well know I have always been a huge fan of Lance Armstrong. I have always admired his work ethic and mental strength in cycling as well has what he stands for with LAF. When I finished my swimming career at UT, I had one mission...meet Lance. Not in a crazy stalker way, but just wanted to shake his hand. I applied for an internship at LAF in the fall of 2001 (my final semester). I got the internship and was asked where I wanted to sit in the office....LAF was in a Victorian House at the time (off Bee Caves) and they had just moved it. I could sit on the first floor and look out the windows, or 3rd floor outside Lance's office, DUH! I set up shop on the 3rd floor. My main role was to help with the Kids C.A.R.E project (Cancer Awareness and Rider Education) for the little guys. I was able to go around to a few schools, was a great program. One day, I was sitting at my desk and heard 'thump, thump, thump' Lance comes flying up the stairs...he walked straight over to me and introduced himself. He commented on being put up on the 3rd floor, that just coming to the office and climbing the stairs is a workout....All I was thinking, was wow, you are so normal. This was his first visit to the new office. He thanked me for setting up his office - don't worry, I didn't take the credit, I had no part of that. His office did look cool. But we were able to joke around and I had to give him directions to his own bathroom. I think that just helped me to admire him more. He respected us, he knew we were there for the right reasons and never treated us any different.

I emailed LAF this past week about what was going on. I've been a supporter for a long time of LAF and now I guess I am now a client. I still had friends associated with the company (thank you Elli) and they got back in touch with me ASAP. It's such a great organization, feel free to check them out at: (http://www.livestrong.org/site/c.khLXK1PxHmF/b.2660611/k.BCED/Home.htm)

If this blog does get to Lance - "Thank you for doing what you do and hopefully you know where all the bathrooms are in your new office!" :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are going to publish this... because you are a helluva writer and storyteller!!
WE LOVE YOU POOPSIE!
XOXOX POUF

Bethany said...

Oooh do I have another good work story for you! Whenever you're feeling down just invision a little boy with Autsim (and glasses as thick as coke bottles) sitting quietly at the circle table, listening to calming classical music, and all of a sudden screaming "GOD DAMN IT DAVE! I locked my keys in the car again!" It made me laugh out loud and hopefully it will do the same for you (but not in a painful way of course) Love you!